Follow us on twitter!

motherfreakinwriters@motherfrknwrite

Thursday, 26 July 2012

Green Giant and Wonder Woman

 
When I was a kid, my Mom never hesitated to open a couple cans of Green Giant to go with our dinner, usually green beans, and if we had been very good, creamed corn.  ‘It’s why God invented cans,’ she would say.  Today, we’re made to feel guilty if the food we serve our children isn’t organic, seasonal, local, Free Trade and free range.

I was thinking this week about how in some ways my mother’s generation was more liberated than my own.  They bought into the liberation of technology, the ease and freedom of food in a box.  Of course, I didn’t know the conversations between women back then, but I do know what they are now, and when I share them with my Mom, she just doesn’t get it.  ‘Just open a couple cans for dinner tonight and forget about it,’ she’d say to my stress about getting a proper meal on the table, one that includes fresh veggies and food group diversity. 

This post isn’t about my Mom’s affinity for those cans of green beans and corn, though.  It’s actually about Wonder Woman, the television show I’d be watching when I could smell that creamed corn simmering on the stove for dinner. Wonder Woman was not afraid to kick some serious butt while wearing lipstick, hot pants and bulletproof bracelets.  She wasn’t apologetic about the duality of her nature.  She was a mother figure, a protector, extremely proficient at hand-to-hand combat, and also an advocate for love and peace.  I want my daughters to love Wonder Woman as much as I did.  They’ve got Dora the Explorer, she’s cute and feisty, but let’s face it, she’s also kind of annoying, and I’ve never seen her in hand-to-hand combat.

This week I’m looking for books (Middle Grade, Young Adult and Adult) with strong and feisty female main characters who embrace their dual natures.  I’d like to highlight books that are promoting girls and women who are strong, fierce, and independent.  Send in your favorites and we’ll post them next week, along with questions to ask the author of the number one suggested book.  

7 comments:

  1. I would love to see that list! I've been compiling a list of good options to add to my little girl's library and would love to add more. There are the classics that I loved as a girl - Laura Ingalls, Anne of Greene Gables, A Wrinkle in Time and Little Women, and some I've just discovered or have been recommended - The Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett), Breadcrumbs (Anne Ursu) and Ronia, The Robber's Daughter (Astrid Lindgren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne of Green Gables! I love her. I'll check out Breadcrumbs and Ronia, and add them to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Astrid Lindgren always has amazing female characters. I think Anne of Green Gables is a brilliant story for girls. My fav adult literary character is, of course, Scarlett O' Hara... she was a bitch but a strong, feisty female who went for broke every time. Alas, she didn't get her man, but he was a wimp anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'd like to add a certain someone I know used to stand at the swing sets and deflect invisible bullets with her Wonder Woman wrists... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat Manno in Charlie Fletcher's Far Rockaway made this (almost) 40 year old want to jump aboard a pirate ship and do battle. It's set in modern day New York, rolls up rollicking classics - Kidnapped, Treasure Island,The Last of the Mohicans - while the feisty Cat fights for her life in this world and another. Loved it!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Far-Rockaway-Charlie-Fletcher/dp/034099732X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345628124&sr=1-5
    anyway - back to playdoh . . .

    ReplyDelete