Follow us on twitter!

motherfreakinwriters@motherfrknwrite

Monday, 16 April 2012

Welcome to Mother Freakin' Writers

 
Mother Freakin’ Writers is a blog for all those trying to mother, father or parent and write professionally.  It’s for mothers at all levels of the writing process with the end goal of publication.  It’s for all those trying to fit in time to write while taking care of children and trying to meet the demands of both unpaid roles.  Before I had children and even after, I would read about women; playwrights, freelancers, novelists — all successfully achieving their writing dreams while mothering young children.  Interviewers never seemed to ask these women how they managed to find time for both.  There were always the broad, glowing, ‘she manages to have it all’ statements, but nothing about the nitty gritty, the late nights, the scheduling, dealing with the isolation of mothering and writing.

So, this blog is a community for all those wanting to share their tips, their struggles, their latest roadblocks, and the success stories of writing while mothering.  And fathers are welcome, too, because we all face similar constraints as caregivers who write.  Since I was a young child, I have written.  It’s something I have to do.  It’s something I will always do.  Even if I die at my keyboard with a margarita in one hand, pressing ‘send’ on another email query.  After having children and becoming a stay-at-home mom (and please, we need to come up with a better term for us than that), I started pursuing writing full-time.  And it wasn’t at all how I pictured it to be according to magazine articles; like the ones I would read in pregnancy magazines.  (Babies don’t sit on your lap while you type away at your latest manuscript! — more on that article and other fallacies to come in later posts…)

I wrote a novel and had an agent during the first year of my first child’s life, which looking back on it, was kind of a crazy time.  But, like I said, writing is something I have to do.  It’s something that makes me a happier person, a better mom, but there are sacrifices.  I’ve been through the ups and downs of submissions and not seeing the work published in the end.  I’ve been through the harsh realization that it’s time to put the old away and write another.  And now I am finished with my second manuscript and seeking representation again.  The entire process is a lot like pregnancy and giving birth; without an epidural. 

My blog mate, Val, and I, hope Mother Freakin’ Writers will become an empowered community of writers supporting each other in the uncertain journey toward being Mother  Freakin’ Published Writers and in the uncertain journey of motherhood in general.  We hope to see you here frequently and we’re very excited about building this community.  Join us!  Val will be posting on Wednesday with her own personal take on being a Mother Freakin’ Writer.  Look for my next post on Friday about finding support for writing.

In later posts we will be inviting some of you to tell your stories about writing and mothering.  What are some of the things  you’re looking for in a mother writing community blog? 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! As a pregnant PhD student, I really look forward to reading about balancing writing with motherhood. Ruth

    ReplyDelete